The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) is a national vaccine safety surveillance program co-sponsored by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). VAERS is a post-marketing safety surveillance program, collecting information about adverse events (possible side effects) that occur after the administration of vaccines licensed for use in the United States.
VAERS provides a nationwide mechanism by which adverse events following immunization may be reported, analyzed, and made available to the public. VAERS also provides a vehicle for disseminating vaccine safety-related information to parents and guardians, health care providers, vaccine manufacturers, state vaccine programs, and other constituencies. more...
VIDEO: An Overview
This 10-minute video describes VAERS, who can report and how, and what happens after a VAERS report is submitted to CDC and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
VIDEO: Searching the
VAERS data is available to the public. This video demonstrates how to use the VAERS search tool.
VAERS Data last updated: 08/20/2014
Seasonal Flu Update
- Immunization Safety Office
- National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases
- National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program
- National Vaccine Program Office
- Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research
- Vaccine Safety
- Immunization Schedules
- Preventing Flu with Vaccination
- Traveler's Health: Vaccinations
- Vaccine-Preventable Diseases
- CDC en Español: Inmunización
Have you or your child had a reaction following vaccination?
Contact your health care provider
Visit the National Vaccine Injury Compensation (if appropriate)
Important note: CDC and FDA do not provide individual medical treatment, advice, or diagnosis. If you need individual medical or health care advice, consult a qualified health care provider.
¿Ha tenido usted o su hijo una reacción adversa después de recibir una vacuna?
Contacte a su proveedor de salud
- Reporte una reacción adversa
- Visite el Programa Nacional de Compensación por Daños Derivados de Vacunas (si es necesario)